Pages

Friday 27 July 2012

Things That Make You Go Hmmmmm.......

This is a reflective post.....not related to any reading as such.....just my own thoughts.  Some of them will be random, but some you just might identify with and might even have had yourself!  


I went to Uni in the early 90's and studied to become a teacher.  I had a great time.  I loved it.
I loved going on prac, I couldn't wait to have my own classroom, my own class and use my own lessons.  I couldn't wait to to teach the kids to read, write, add up, take away, learn about the world, play a game or two outside, sing some songs, eat lunch, teach the kids to be great learners and contributors to our community.  


In reality, it didn't totally turn out like that.
I didn't realise that I would need acting skills, people skills, medical knowledge, a psychology degree, a counselling degree, so much patience, so much organisation, be prepared for any parent's question, be creative, be open to criticism and all the while maintain a professional smile on my face.  Initially, there were just not enough hours in the day for me to be 'kicking goals' in every arena! (Note to self.....it is ok to say "I don't know" or "I can't manage that." and leave it at that!!!)


I am learning that being a Teacher-Librarian is a bit the same.  It is not just books.  It is not just re-shelving, it is not just finding information, it is not just teaching students how to find information. It's not just the Dewey system. 


The Teacher-Librarian reality for 2012 is advocate, advocate, advocate!!!  Market yourself, your skills, your resources, your need for funding so that not only the school administrators are on board, but so that teachers are on board and the students and parents are on board. Everybody should know what is happening in the library.  Administrators need to be aware of the progressive resourcing needs the library has and Teachers and Teacher-Librarians need to communicate so that the resources available in the library are appropriate for the learning needs of the students in the school.  There will be numerous members of the school community who would have no idea that the library has the potential to be a vibrant learning community.  It is THE place to be.


There will be administrators and teachers out there who will try to stifle your creativity, your determination and your enthusiasm.  Ignore them.  Let them rise to your level and they too will realise that greatness, success and immense satisfaction can be achieved when communities work together.


imgres.jpg



No comments:

Post a Comment